Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Arequipa's Earthquake

Arequipa’s Earthquake



It was a quiet and beautiful Saturday when an earthquake happened in my city, Arequipa, six years ago. The seismographer said that it was 6 on the Merchalli scale.

On the Merchalli scale a six means that the earthquake was strong. It was felt by everyone. Many people were frightened and ran outdoors. Windows, dishes, glassware were broken. Books fell off shelves. Some heavy furniture moved or overturned. Damage was slight.

That day I went with some friends to the International Club to celebrate the anniversary of my work. We had a lot of fun. First, we played some games and then we had a barbecue.

We were dancing when the earth began to move. The trees shook a lot. All my friends were shouting and crying, and some of them ran to their houses. They were very worried about their families.

I was frightened, when I saw how the earth came down in a landslide. I started to cry.

Then, on the way to my house, I saw people running on the street. Some ancient walls had fallen down and in one store I could see broken bottles scattered on the floor. It was incredible.

When I got home, I could finally breath. All in my family were well, even my nephew, who was playing in the park. We only have had a big scare.

No comments: