Friday, October 05, 2007

My Thursday Evenings

My Thursday Evenings

by Alice

Every week, on Thursday evening, my American sister and I have dinner together with her teenage cousins. The cousins’ parents aren't at home and my sister and I cook for them and stay with them until their parents come home. Yesterday evening, I cooked pasta and the cousins made a good salad and banana bread for dessert. I had never tasted banana bread before.


The cousins are very curious about me and life in Italy and they question me about many things. I do the same with them and they help me a lot with English because when I am with them I feel comfortable and I talk without the fear of making mistakes. They are very nice and smart even if they are much younger than me. We can talk about almost everything. They have many interests like dancing, playing sax, reading and they are very open-minded.

Yesterday, we talked about the feeling of awkwardness. It was intense because we were talking about an intimate feeling and also funny because they made strange gestures to explain to me the meaning of this word. They tried to explain this feeling by making a sort of turtle with their hands but neither my sister ( She is American and is a native English speaker) nor I could easily understand them!


I like this "new tradition" of spending Thursday evenings with them. We eat good food, we compare cultural habits, we learn new things about each others and we laugh a lot. I think that sitting around a table together is a good way to relate with people and to share feelings. Maybe this thought is very Italian...

1 comment:

Richard Blum said...

Every week, on Thursday evening, my American sister and I, we have dinner together with her teenage cousins. Their parents aren't at home and my sister and I cook for them and stay with them untill their parents come home. Yesterday evening, I cooked pasta and they made a good salad and banana bread for dessert, that I had never eaten before.
The cousins are very courious about me and life in Italy and they question me about many things. I do the same with them and they help me a lot with English because when I am with them I feel comfortable and I talk without the fear of making mistakes. They are very nice and smart even if they are so younger than me and we can talk about almost everything.
They have many interests like dancing, playing sax, reading and they are very open-minded.
Yesterday, we talked about the feeling of akwardness. It was intense because we were talking about an intimate feeling and also funny because they made strange gestures to explain to me the meaning of this word. They wanted to explain this feeling making a sort of turtle with their hands and neither my sister, that is american and can easily understand the language, couldn't understand it!
I like this "new tradition" of spending my thursday evenings with them. We eat good food, we compare cultural habits, we learn new things about each others and we laugh a lot. I think that standing around a table together is a good way to relate with people and to share feelings. Maybe this tought is so Italian...