Saturday, December 15, 2007

Have you ever tried to go to the bathroom in the Oakland Public Library?

Have you ever tried to go to the bathroom in the Oakland Public Library?
If yes, it would be an experience that you won’t forget in your whole life!
Yesterday, I went to the library to print a discount that allows two persons to get into a salsa club at the price of one ticket. (Before I forget, I think that would be a very good idea to buy a printer for the students, so students could print. I don’t mean that we should have free prints, but you could sell print cards or you could establish a price for each copy…This is not a complaint letter, but only a suggestion!)
Anyway, while I was there I had to go to the bathroom…urgently!
When I reached the door it was locked and there was a sign that said to ask at the information desk for the key.
So I run to the desk and I asked the librarian for the key. At this point he showed me this very big and strange object that didn’t look like a key at all. It was like a sculpture of abstract art or a torture instrument. The object was a little black plastic thing tied with a big iron ring, tied to a heavy iron and big thing and on that thing there was a paper with the instruction to use the key. The instructions were incomprehensible for me, not because it was a difficult English to understand, but because I couldn’t believe that we could open a door waving something over a something else…
I mean, in all my life I have always opened and locked doors with a key, but, I was sure, I had never done something like that to open a door before. And the most important thing was that I couldn’t believe that I had to carry with me the whole big and heavy strange object. So I tried to dismantle the most little part from the other stuff, under the incredulous sight of the librarian. But the whole thing was tightly tied together! I surrendered and I asked the librarian if I had to bring the whole stuff with me. I think he couldn’t believe that I didn’t understand so he only repeated me for three times that I had to read the instructions and that the bathroom was upstairs.
I was really in a hurry so I decided to bring the object and that I would try to use it in some way when I would be in front of the door (maybe also by hitting the handle of the door with the iron part…It was an emergency!).
Finally, when I reached the door, I passed by chance the plastic part near the electronic device that opens the door. The door opens automatically and I could enter. It was like an enchanted door!
Very often it happens to me that I feel stupid in the US and it’s not only because I can’t understand the language, but because I find myself in strange and unbelievable situations!
I wanted to share with you this story so, thanks to my experience, everybody could go easily to the bathroom next Tuesday...

2 comments:

Papa said...

I am laughing so hard that my side hurts.

Thanks for the "heads up".

Alejandro said...

jajajaj <(Mexican smile), that was fun, I know what you mean. I would like be there to see you with the big stuff in your hands, sounds funny.