Thursday, February 01, 2007

Fishing

What do I like to do in my spare time and what is my hobby?

I love to go fishing in my spare time and it is my one of favorite hobbies. I like to go fishing because it is quiet and so peaceful. In the past, I went fishing almost every weekend.

I go fishing with my friends and brothers in the river in Antioch. I enjoy the quietness, the peacefulness, and mainly, no children for at least three hours.

I don't have to hear something like "Dad, can you do this for me?” or “Dad, I need to play horse back riding and so on." You know how it is with children.

Four years ago, I had a friend from New York who came to visit me and he knew that I liked fishing, so he wanted to come along.

It was striped bass season and we were trolling for striped bass and suddenly, something heavy hooked on my fishing pole. It was very hard and heavy and I was unable to move it. I tried to reel it in but it was moving very fast and strong. It took me fifteen to twenty minutes to bring the fish up to the boat. Surprisingly, it was a sturgeon.

My friend and I took the sturgeon to a local restaurant for dinner. My friend from New York called his friend to the restaurant. He introduced him to me. He called the guy by the name of "Uncle".

Uncle likes fishing a lot and he said he never met anyone who had caught a sturgeon before. He then asked if I could take him fishing sometime and I said it is always good to have more fishing buddies. After that day, we went fishing a lot and caught many fish on our fishing trips in the Delta near Antioch.

As salmon season approached, uncle and I had a conversation about going fishing on the party boats. The following weekend, we both invited our friends to go Salmon fishing. We all met at my house that morning and I remembered having a very funny conversation with Uncle. I asked everyone to take a seasick pill to avoid sea sickness. Uncle loudly said, "Young man! When I was younger I used to live on a naval ship." He also said, "No need to worry for me, just worry for you." I got on the party boat at the Berkeley pier and when the boat passed under the Golden Gate bridge area I saw Uncle's face turning pale and I said, " Uncle, are you okay?" \

He said, "I think I got up a little too early and I should go sit inside the boat to take a rest."

We all wanted to laugh but we didn't want to embarrass him.

I still remember that moment when the boat got to Half Moon Bay. The party host called my name very loud and said, "Hey, Dave, your friend needs help." I turned toward him and I saw Uncle throwing up everywhere. From then on, we always laugh about that time and he tells all his friends that I always took care and helped him. He also tells his friends that I am a real friend and a person who uses his heart to help out others when in need.

We get along so well that even his family treats me like part of their family. I will always remember what Uncle told me, “a true friend is hard to find and when you do, do not take him for granted. You should cherish the friendship that you have bonded."

Until this day, I miss this friend a lot and in my heart there's always a space for him. I remember this friend and don't know when our family and his can have dinner again.

1 comment:

Richard Blum said...

What do I like to do on my spare time and what is my hobby? I love to go fishing on my spare time and it is my most favorite hobbies. I like to go fishing because it is quiet and so peaceful. In the past, I go fishing almost every weekend. I go fishing with my friends and brothers in the lake in Antioch. I enjoy the quietness, the peacefulness, and mainly, no children for at least three hours. I don't have to hear something like "Dad, can you do this for me, or Dad I need to play horse back riding and so on," you know how it is like with children.

Four years ago, I have a friend from New York came to visit me and he knew that I like fishing, so he wanted to come along. It was a strip bass season and we were trolling for strip bass and suddenly, something hard hooked on my fishing pole. It was very hard and heavy and unable to move. I tried to wheel it in but it was moving very fast and strong. It took me fifteen to twenty minutes to bring the fish in the boat. Surprisingly, it was a sturgeon.

My friend and I took the sturgeon to a local restaurant for dinner. My friend from New York called his friend to the restaurant. He introduced him to me. He called the guy by the name of, "uncle". Uncle likes fishing a lot and he said he never met anyone who caught a sturgeon before. He then asked if I can take him fishing sometime and I said it is always good to have more fishing buddies. After that day, we went fishing a lot and caught many fishes on our fishing trips at the Delta near Antioch.

As salmon season approach, uncle and I had a conversation about going fishing with the party boats. The following weekend, we both invited our friends to go Salmon fishing. We all met at my house that morning and I remembered having a very funny conversation with uncle. I asked everyone to take a seasick pill to avoid sea sickness. Uncle loudly said, "Young man! When I was younger I used to live in a naval ship." He also said, "No need to worry for me, just worry for you." I got on the party boat at Berkeley pier and when the boat passed the Golden Gate bridge area I saw uncle's face turning pale and I said, " Uncle, are you okay?" He said, "I think I got up a little too early and I should go sit inside the boat to take a rest." We all wanted to laugh but didn't want to embarrass him. I still remembered that moment when the boat got to Half Moon Bay; the party host called my name very loud and said, "Hey Dave, your friend needs help." I turned toward him and I saw uncle threw up everywhere. From then we always laughed about that time and he tells all his friends that I always take care and help him. He also tells his friend that I am a real friend and a person who uses his heart to help out others when need. We get along so well that even his family treated me part of their family. I always remember "Uncle tells me this, a true I shard to find and when you do, do not take it for granted and should cherish the friendship that you have bonded." Till this day, I missed this friend a lot and in my heart there's always a space for him. I remembered this friend and don't know when our family and his can have dinner again.