Thursday, February 15, 2007

Chinese New Year in China

Last week, my wife asked me to take my daughter to get a hair cut before Chinese New Year. I started to think about how I used to celebrate New Year in China.

When I was a child, I always got so excited that I started counting down the days a month before New Year’s Eve. Just like how some American kids count down for Christmas.

On Chinese New Year's Eve, my mom always gave my siblings and me new clothes to welcome the New Year. My family would have dinner together with lots of good food.

On New Year's morning, I would say lots of blessing quotes to my parents so they would give me red envelopes (lucky money). Then we would have a vegetarian breakfast. After breakfast, my parents would tell us to leave the house to go play.

I would go play fire crackers with my friends and I would light up a fire cracker to throw it at people I did not like. That was my favorite game.

I also went to different houses to wish them a happy New Year so I could collect more lucky money from people who were married. Elderly people used to refer to Chinese New Year as little hurricane because they had to give lucky money. I didn't understand what they meant when I was a kid. Now I do and passing out lucky money can be costly. I will end my story by saying, "Gong Hay Fat Choy!" (Wishing you prosperity!)

1 comment:

Richard Blum said...

Last week, my wife asked me to take my daughter to get a hair cut before Chinese New Year. I started to think about how I used to celebrate New Year in China.

When I was a child. I always get so excited that I start counting down the days a month before. Just like how some American kids count down for Christmas.

On Chinese New Year's Eve, my mom always gives my sibling and me new clothes to welcome the New Year. My family would have dinner together with lots of good food.

On New Year's morning, I would say lots of blessing quotes to my parent so they give me red envelope (lucky money). Then we will have a vegetarian breakfast. After breakfast, my parent would tell us to leave the house to go play.

I would go play fire crackers with my friends and I would light up a fire cracker to throw it at people I do not like. That is my favorite game.

I also go to different houses to wish them a happy New Year so I can collect more lucky money from people who are married. Elderly used to refer Chinese New Year as little hurricane because they have to gave lucky money. I didn't understand it what they meant when I was a kid. Now I do and passing out lucky money can be costly. I will end my story by saying, "Gong Hay Fat Cho" (wishing you prosperity).