Monday, November 20, 2006

An Unforgettable Experience

When I was a child I lived in Hong Kong with my family. We lived in a small village. My father was a farmer. Not too many people lived in our neighborhood. .

One night, we heard my dog bark outside. My father took a flash light and went out to look around. He passed a little park and near the outside gate of the park, he shone the light around. He saw a man lying down near the gate. The man looked very tired and his back was hurt.

My father thought he may have been a stowaway because, at that time, many illegal immagrants from China were coming to Hong Kong. They often hid on the train and, if they were discovered, they would jump down from the train while it was traveling fast. My house was near the railway so sometimes we would meet stowaways.

My father asked the man, "Are you a stowaway?"

The man said, "Yes." He told my father that he had come here to find his brother. He asked my father to not call the police. He gave my father the phone number to contact his brother.

My father gave him some food and arranged for him to stay in the storeroom outside our house. The next morning his brother came to pick him up.

I was very proud of my father.

No comments: