Friday, December 16, 2005

Sanjoo's Story

In 1996 I worked for the Democratic Party in Burma. The police came to my house and asked me about the Democratic Party. I never answered them. I only told them that I did not know anything.

A few months later, the police came to my house again. I was very lucky because I was not home. I was at a friend's house. Two hours later, my mother came to see me. My mother told me, "You shouldn't come back home. You must run away. "

One day later, I went from place to place. After a month, I met my friend, Anil. Anil was my best friend. Now he is my husband. We are social workers together.

if we go back to Burma maybe the police will kill us or put us in jail.

Now that we are safe in the United States, we are fine. Sometimes I miss my mother and friends. I am very sad. I haven't seen my mother for ten years. Sometimes I call my mother, but I only listen. I can't talk because the telephone is tapped. The police always watch my mother.

I cry now because my mother is old.

No comments: